The Stephens County Historical Society was organized October 19, 1969 for the purpose of preserving photographs, first person stories, and artifacts collected throughout the county. The museums first location was on Main Street. It was moved to the current location in 1974. The old National Guard Armory in Fuqua Park was built in 1936-1937 as a WPA project.
The old National Guard Armory in Fuqua Park was built in 1936-1937 as a WPA project. Oklahoma’s historic armories represent a uniquely American architectural legacy. No other nation constructed such buildings to serve the needs of a citizen soldiery. The Duncan armory is one of thirty-eight out of fifty one Oklahoma WPA armories that has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Our museum features a huge collection of artifacts from the Stephens County area.Check out our newest exhibit the Rythym & Routes Juke Box. This exhibit features music and bios of Oklahoma music talent.
There is no charge to tour the museum. We do accept donations. Major funding is by memberships and donations.